Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Aquisitions and the future of indie publishing (part one)

So today across my desk comes news of two different acquisitions from two very different sides of the publishing world. I'll break this into two parts, one for each acquisition.

First off is news that Soft Skull Press--a venerable and fiercely indie (though, let's admit, a tad flakey) book publisher--was just bought up by newcomer Winton, Shoemaker & Co. LLC. The company, according to Publisher's Weekly has been on a bit of a buying binge lately, having bought Counterpoint Press last week and Shoemaker & Hoard earlier in the year (one would assume that's when the Shoemaker entered the company's name--unless chairman Charlie Winton was just incredibly prescient in naming the business to begin with. Though with the whole mess changing its name to Counterpoint LLC in June anyway, so I guess this whole naming discussion is moot come then).

News of the sale isn't that shocking--Soft Skull has a history of shaky financing and the bankruptcy of indie distributor PGW's parent company earlier this year dealt a blow that many feared was going to be mortal--but it still means one less truly indie publisher out there to hold the torch and signals what could be a growing trend of indies finding cover as the book industry continues its downward spiral. In other words, it's kinda shitty news for a shitty time.

6 comments:

Richard Nash said...

I guess I can't dispute flakey, at least on an outcome-level (titles delayed, for example), but on a process-level, things were anything but dilettante-ish. I would argue that we achieved 75% of an extremely ambitious project, and that that is as worthwhile as achieving 95% of a less ambitious one...

Anyhow, Shoemaker & Hoard was an imprint of the Avalon Publishing Group formed after Jack Shoemaker, an iconic west-coast publisher of Wendell Berry, Gary Snyder, WS Merwin, Anne Lamott, MFK Fisher etc, left Counterpoint, a company he founded with Frank Pearl--the first of the Perseus Books Group imprints. Charlie and Jack bought out S&H from Avalon at the same time all the rest of Avalon was being sold to Perseus. Last week, Charlie and Jack and other investors announced they would buy Counterpoint, thereby reuniting Jack with his old authors. And then this week, the same group announced they would be buying us...

Sinker said...

Wow Richard, your Googling skills impress me--I haven't actually told anyone about this blog yet (still waiting for a little more content before I let people know about it).

Thanks for clearing up the who bought what when. And for not disputing flakey. And congrats on the new digs.

Richard Nash said...

Ha, yes, I was wondering why I'd not heard about it yet, seems like when Dan Sinker starts a blog, other bloggers would spread the word pretty fast.

I've got a technorati blog search for "soft skull" and about 30 other phrases (authors and titles, mostly) in a RSS feed. That's about the only way I can keep up, but it's really useful you or someone at PP should definitely do it, it helps you have these kindsa conversations...

ds said...

As an author of a Soft Skull title coming out this month, I can say that I've not changed my mind about being proud to be published Richard Nash and Soft Skull (as they are, truly, one and the same).

My book was either going to be published by Random House or Soft Skull, and the reality is that as a first time author I would (and do) get a lot more attention and personal treatment from an indie than from the largest trade book publisher on the planet. If my book is to succeed, it will be due to this personal touch.

As someone who has faced the collapse of my own business and lived, I say, congratulations to finding a solution that keeps Soft Skull's uniqueness and Richard's editorial skill.

David Silverman author of TYPO: The Last American Typesetter or How I Made and Lost $4 Million

Dominique said...

I've been a big fan of Soft Skull for a number of years. And throughout this PGW fiasco I've been thinking long and hard about the future of indie publishing. For many years now, I've thought of Sourcebooks (and built it) as a home for many different kinds of voices and sensibilities. The range of publishing is what makes Sourcebooks different and I think it is that range that's sheltered (and sheltering) us (to the extent that any of us can be sheltered in this maelstrom). Anyway, Richard, I'm sorry all of this is falling on you. Good publishing is difficult and rare.

Dominique Raccah
PS Daniel, I just realized you're in Chicago. We are as well (though admittedly the suburbs, the reason for which is an entirely different conversation). Best, Dominique

Sinker said...

David: Just saw your book on Time Out Chicago's summer reading list. Sounds really interesting! I'd love to check it out.

Dominique: While I agree that a wide and diverse catalog is one of the keys to surviving the times (though, conversely, I also believe that a laser-focused catalog would also work) (and, for a second paranthetical, I would also add that now wouldn't be the time to build that diverse catalog--this one's best for those that have already done it), I wouldn't equate the catalog of Soft Skull with that of Sourcebooks. Though I'm not sure that was your intention anyway.